Things you might not know – Stormwind
Hey folks! I thought it was about time for another Things you might not know post! This time, I’m focusing on the main Alliance capital, Stormwind.
- In the tower of the Wizards sanctum, there is a portal to a room where the master Mages study. It’s where Alliance arrive in Stormwind after portaling.
- In the same tower, there is a portal to the Blasted Lands, which lands you a few hundred yards away from the Dark portal.
- There are many Pubs in Stormwind. These include: The Blue Recluse, The Slaughtered Lamb, an unnamed pub in the Dwarven district and the ‘Pig and Whistle Tavern’ in Old town.
- Downstairs in the pub ‘The Slaughtered Lamb’ are Warlock trainers, and a secret crypt that goes down several storeys. There is a small summoning circle inscribed at the bottom, where Warlocks can summon demons.
- There is a shop called ‘Ancient Curios’ on the second storey of the city that sells reagents.
- There are 3 female NPCs that walk around having a scripted conversation about a spell they are preparing. They are called Suzanne, Lisan Pierce and Janey Anship.
- A lot of people miss Stormwind Park, where Druids can train. They have a Moonwell and various shrines set up there. It’s labelled on the map as ‘The Park.’
- Stormwind Harbour! For anyone who hasn’t played Alliance before, or since Wrath of the Lich king, Stormwind has a massive harbour with Boats that go to Auberdine and Northrend.
- Stormwind city guards escort a Defias prisoner from a ship, walking through the harbour and the city.
- To the far north of the Harbour is a dwarf called Thargold Ironwing, who will allow you a free Gryphon ride round the Harbour to appreciate the view. It will fly for around 2 minutes and then deposit you where you started.
- Stormwind has an Orphanage in Cathedral square. Many little orphans run around inside and around the building.
- Inside the Cathedral of Light, you can find Trainers for First aid, Paladin and Priest class trainers, and a Reagent vendor. There is also an emissary from the Scarlet Crusade in the dungeons.
- The Cathedral of Light has a crypt as well, accessible through the dungeons.
- On the outer rim of Cathedral Square is an empty building with a sign saying ‘The Argent Dawn.’
- There is a portal in the Dwarven District to the Deeprun tram, a free service that will take you from Stormwind to Ironforge and back.
- In the very North East of the Dwarven District is a massive empty guild meeting room, hung with Ironforge drapes.
- Stormwind Keep houses the King, and the son of the king, Varian and Anduin Wrynn.
- The keep also has some ornamental gardens, which lead off to two rooms: a Royal Gallery which contains statues and paintings, and a large Royal Library full of bookshelves.
- Behind the throne of the king is the War room, where the Battleground representatives meet, and in the back corner of the room is an NPC called Behsten, dressed like a 19 twink, who will stop your experience gains for a small payment of gold. He is stealthed, so search hard.
- In the unnamed Old Town pub, there is a vendor who will sell you any cooking recipe that is also avaliable through low level Alliance questing.
- You can go deeper into Old town to find the Command Center, where warriors train and meet.
- You can go down the other route, into SI:7, where training dummies can be fought and Rogues can train.
- The Champion’s hall is where all Alliance buy their Honour rewards, from mounts to gems to PvP gear 60 through to 80.
- There is a mysterious portal behind a barred gate, towards the South East of the map.
- In the upstairs room of the Stormwind Barbers, there are two gnome skeletons hidden under the floorboards.
- An NPC called Ol Emma patrols, moaning about the war, and various things.
- Two NPC war veterans patrol, giving random jokes and complaints to each other. They are called Aedis Brom and Christoph Faral.
Stuff I didn’t know, with thanks to Jaedia, Tarinae, Vrykerion, Erinys, Meka:
- Lisbeth Schneider in a tailoring shop on the Canal side of the Trade District is the only vendor of the Stylish Black Shirt…and it is stylin’!
- The aforementioned Barred off Portal reportedly was going to lead to the Player Housing district before the idea was scrapped.
- Stormwind Vault. A Large building only accessible by swimming through the canals with a blocked off instance portal. This is the prison Stormwind used for the really nasty baddies that were too powerful or dangerous to keep in the Stockades (Master rogues, powerful mages, demons, that kinda thing). Think of it as the Alliance version of the Arcatraz or Violet Hold.
- There is an NPC boy called Timmy who wanders around selling a little white kitten non combat pet.
- There is also Cut Throat Alley which is that part of the Dwarfen District facing the Cathedral Square. You enter from the canal side through a building and then you’re in a hidden little close with no NPCs, just a house you can enter. Cut throat alley is used for a quest where you have to beat information out of a dwarf, who appears with two lackeys.
- There’s a florist shop in the canal district between Old Town and the Trade District called Fragrant Flowers. If you speak with Little Adeline inside, she’ll grant you a 1 min cascade of flower petals.
That’s all for my second Things post. Feel free to comment if you know something interesting, functional, or just plain awesome about Stormwind that I haven’t included!