Symphony: The sounds in WoW
It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while, ever since some of my guildies admitted they raid with their ingame sound off. I personally couldn’t do this. A lot of my enjoyment of the game is enhanced by the ambient sounds and music they’ve picked for the zone, from ICC’s haunting music and undead screeches, to Winterspring’s twanging slow music and howling winds that I can hear in the background as I write this.
My favourite sounds:
- Heroism. I love the ‘wheeeeey’ sound it makes, that sounds somewhere in between a crowd cheering and some form of instrument.
- The proc from the talent ‘Infusion of light,’ as a Holy Paladin. It’s a talent that reduces the cast time on your next FoL to 0, and it has an awesome sound like a clock being wound backwards very fast.
- The sound like an orchestra tuning up you get from the massive Priest AoE heal ‘Divine Hymn.’
- All the bow sounds Hunters make.
- The sound the Companion pet Crocalisks make. Nyerr.
- The Draenei male cheer. Homer Simpson’s Woohoo!
- The rumbles of thunder from Shaman’s chain heal.
- The sound slime things make as they move, a kind of calm glooping sound. I find it endearing, for some reason.
- Thaddius’s voice acting in Naxx, and his two minions. Scary, but cool.
- Undead male DK’s emoting at all. (Incase you didn’t know, all DK’s have some level of voice modification for their emotes and combat sounds. All have echoey effects on them. The Female ones and the male Taurens remain the same in pitch, as they would sound weird deeper. All of the males, with two exceptions, are much deeper. The relevant exception is Undead male, who is already creepy and deep, so they have their pitch actually raised. They sound like they’re inhaling helium in a cathedral.)
My least liked sounds:
- The sound of Mana Burn. It makes a sound like nails on a blackboard in an echoey room, and it normally means I’m about to be flattened by a Priest.
- The sound of Spellsteal. The insolent little swooping sounds as a Mage removes all your best, high mana-to-recast spells.
- Sindragosa’s voice acting.
- Sinister strike. Way to loud for a move that needs to be spammed so much at lower levels for a rogue.
- Most of the races and gender’s laugh sounds. They sound very fake, and annoying.
- Troll male and Undead Female death sounds. I smacked you with an axe, not choked you with a lemon.
- The sound of Sap. It just means bad news.
- The sound an Elekk makes dying. It’s disturbing, and sad, all in one.
- Lil’XT and Panderen monk doing anything.
I’m also really fond of the music in Karazhan and the epic Hellfire Peninsula music. Oh and pretty much any of the Nordic sounding stuff throughout Northrend. What are your most and least liked sounds?